IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) — Firefighters have rescued a Russian tortoise named Yoda at an eastern Idaho elementary school after a heating device caused his habitat to start smoldering.

The Idaho Falls Fire Department says it responded early Wednesday to a fire alarm at Fairview Elementary School in Idaho Falls and found the building filled with smoke. Crews discovered a smoldering fire in a classroom in Yoda's 30-gallon enclosure and saved the tortoise. Bonneville School District Superintendent Charles Shackett says a heating pad meant to keep Yoda warm caused the problem.

The hand-sized tortoise is fine and back home with his owner, a teacher. Shackett says he encourages pets in the classroom but will review animal habitat policies. School officials say the fire damage is minimal, and the building is being aired out.