Health Advisory: Blue-green Algae Detected in Mormon Reservoir
CAMAS COUNTY, Idaho (KLIX) – Public health officials have issued a health advisory, saying that blue-green algae has been found in Mormon Reservoir.
The Idaho Department of Environmental Quality and South Central Public Health District issued the advisory Friday afternoon. Blue-green algae contain toxins harmful to human and animals.
“Children and pets are particularly susceptible,” says Josh Jensen, public health program manager for SCPHD. “Exposure to the toxins produced by cyanobacterial HABs may result in life-threatening liver damage, neurological problems such as muscle spasms, decreased movement, labored breathing, convulsions and possible death.”
According to public health officials, it is advised that you:
Avoid exposure to water experiencing a harmful algal bloom. Take extra precautions to ensure children, pets, and livestock are not exposed to the water.
Do not consume water with a blue-green algae bloom. Neither boiling nor disinfecting removes blue-green algae toxins from water.
If fish are known to have been exposed to a blue-green algae bloom, only consume the fillet portion (remove the fat, organs, and skin). Wash hands after handling. The risk associated with consuming fish caught in waters with a blue-green algae bloom is unknown. Toxins produced by blue-green algae can accumulate in the organs of fish.
A local veterinarian treated a dog who is believed to have come in contact with the algae, but the animal later died.
DEQ says it will monitor water quality until the bloom dissipates.