Passer-by Warns North Idaho Family of Burning House
SANDPOINT, Idaho (AP) — Northern Idaho authorities are crediting an unknown passer-by with saving nine lives by alerting the occupants of a house in Sandpoint that the attic had caught fire.
Selkirk Fire Rescue Chief Ron Stocking tells the Bonner County Daily Bee that a person driving home noticed the fire at about 7:20 a.m. Tuesday and pounded on the house's door to awaken the occupants. Stocking says everyone made it out without injuries. Firefighters responded but the fire caused an estimated $150,000 in damage to the attic, three bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Stocking says the fire was accidental. Stocking says the house has smoke alarms but they hadn't yet triggered because the fire started in the attic. Stocking says he doesn't know the identity of the person who alerted the house's residents.