Toxic Algae Confirmed at Southern Idaho Reservoir
TWIN FALLS, Idaho (KLIX)- Health and water officials have issued a warning of a toxic algae at a Southern Idaho reservoir.
The Department of Environmental Quality and South Central Public Health District issued the health advisory for Salmon Falls Creek Reservoir. Officials say testing confirmed the presence of the blue-green algae species of cyanobacteria that can make a dangerous toxin. Authorities say people should avoid any activity that could lead to ingesting the water.
The toxin cannot be removed by boiling or filtering the water. So far no one has been sickened by the algae. It can cause a rapid progression of neurological symptoms like muscle spasms, decreased movement, labored breathing, convulsions and death in animals. Children and pets are particularly susceptible.
If you choose to eat fish from the reservoir officials say you should remove all fat, skin and organs before. The algae is naturally occurring, usually during warmer temperatures. As it gets colder, officials say the bacteria subsides.