Moose, More Elk Die from Eating Poisonous Yew in Wood River Valley
HAILEY, Idaho (KLIX)-The Idaho Department of Fish and Game says a moose and more elk have died from eating a banned decorative plant in the Wood River Valley. The agency said Tuesday that a moose and a total of eight elk have died from eating Japanese Yew, a plant often used for landscaping. Blaine County Commissioners banned the plant several years ago after a number of large game animals died from the poisonous plant. In January, Idaho Fish and Game reported several elk, that appeared healthy, were found dead after eating yew. On Monday, Blaine County officials said they do not know where the plants are that have killed the moose and elk. Residents have been asked to search their property for the plant so it can be removed. People can call the Blaine County Noxious Weeds department at 208-788-5574 if they think they have the yew. Idaho Fish and Game have said in the past that there is no state law that bans the sale of the yew plant statewide. The plant is also toxic to domestic animals like horses and even dogs.