How You Can Help Families in Newtown, Connecticut
In the wake of the horrific killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School last week, Americans across the country are wondering how they can aid the families of the victims. There are numerous methods to donate money, but you also can help in other ways, such as volunteering your time, writing a card or letter, or sending a teddy bear to a child in Newtown.
- The United Way of Western Connecticut has created a Sandy Hook School Support Fund. You can donate online or mail a check here:
Sandy Hook School Support Fund
c/o Newtown Savings Bank
39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470
- The American Red Cross is working with local authorities to help affected families and first responders. For now, the organization says it has all the help it needs, and that if you would like to make a donation, please send it to the United Way via the above address or website. If you or someone you know may need emotional support, they have provided a tip sheet here.
- Newtown Youth and Family Services provides emergency counseling for families, community members or staff involved in the tragedy. They also recommend sending help to the United Way, but are accepting donations at this address:
15 Berkshire Road
Sandy Hook, CT 06482
- The Newtown Memorial Fund has been set up to provide financial aid to victims in covering funeral costs, to assist in the creation of a memorial in the town, and to start an ongoing scholarship for Newtown public school students to attend college.
- If you are interested in volunteering in Newtown, you can call the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection at 1-800-203-1234.
- A list of private online donation sites set up specifically for the Sandy Hook shooting can be found here.
- To send a card or letter to students or staff at the school, here is the address:
Sandy Hook Elementary School
12 Dickenson Drive
Sandy Hook, CT, 06482
- If you would like to send a teddy bear to a child in Newtown, "Operation Fuzzy Wuzzy II" will receive and distribute it from this address:
Operation Fuzzy Wuzzy II
1000 Bridgeport Ave.
Shelton, CT 06484