Burley Firefighter Burned in Chemical Fire
BURLEY, Idaho (AP) — A Magic Valley firefighter is recovering after being burned on the arm while fighting a chemical fire. Burley Fire Chief Shannon Tolman tells the Times-News in Twin Falls that the injured firefighter is doing fine after being treated and released from Cassia Regional Medical Center. Tolman says the fire on Tuesday afternoon at Redox Chemicals LLC couldn't be fought with conventional methods because the chemicals could react with water.
He says instead firefighters used extinguishers on board fire trucks but also had to request more from the fire station and use extinguishers at neighboring businesses. A company spokesman says an equipment malfunction started the fire. Officials say firefighters had the blaze under control in about 10 minutes, but it took several more hours to clean up the extinguished chemicals.